support

Michael Lermer
Hi,

I have been using Open Office for several years, and have found it to be an excellent product, which I prefer to MS Office.  However, an odt file I have created appears to have become corrupted, and I am not able to open it.  I have attached some screenshots showing what happens when I attempt to open it in Open Office; the first screenshot shows the dialogue box, and the second screenshot shows that, when it does open I just get a lot of symbols.  (I have also tried opening it in MS Word, but just get a message saying “the file is corrupt and cannot be opened”).  Is there a way of repairing or recovering the file?  If you wish I can attach the file that I am trying to open.  Thank you for your help.  Kind regards,

Michael Lermer

screenshots.odt (159K) Download Attachment

Re: support

Rory O'Farrell
On Thu, 28 May 2020 22:13:21 +0000
Michael Lermer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been using Open Office for several years, and have found it to be an excellent product, which I prefer to MS Office.  However, an odt file I have created appears to have become corrupted, and I am not able to open it.  I have attached some screenshots showing what happens when I attempt to open it in Open Office; the first screenshot shows the dialogue box, and the second screenshot shows that, when it does open I just get a lot of symbols.  (I have also tried opening it in MS Word, but just get a message saying “the file is corrupt and cannot be opened”).  Is there a way of repairing or recovering the file?  If you wish I can attach the file that I am trying to open.  Thank you for your help.  Kind regards,
>
> Michael Lermer

A file that opens as ### is damaged - possibly because of over-hasty power off of the computer before the internal buffers in the hard drive had written to disk.

You may be able to recover a previous version of the file - see https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038 - a [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file ;

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted.  This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

Experience shows that you should not waste any time with y our existing file - it will have no usable content.  Concentrate on the recovery methods outlined in the tutorial.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: support

Michael Lermer
Hi Rory

Many thanks for your helpful suggestion.  I will have a look at the tutorial.  Best wishes,

Michael Lermer

[https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif]<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>  Virus-free. www.avast.com<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>