the search button does not work

Emmanuele Giusto
the search button does not work

when I search in openoffice calc (open office excel) for a number in a
sheet the button does not find the number and gives results as numbers that
are not right
thanks
good job

Re: the search button does not work

Brian Barker-2
At 12:44 27/11/2019 +0100, Emmanuele Giusto wrote:
>the search button does not work

It does for some users.

>when I search in openoffice calc (open office excel) ...

Let's not call anything "Excel" except Microsoft's proprietary
spreadsheet product.

>... for a number in a sheet the button does not find the number and
>gives results as numbers that are not right

It may be that your understanding of spreadsheets and searching in
them is lacking. Note:

o Numerical values in spreadsheet are stored to a standard precision
but displayed to a chosen precision - very probably to fewer
significant figures. (This is a fundamental thing to appreciate about
spreadsheets.) If you search for, say, a single digit, it may well be
found in the full expression of the stored value even though it may
not appear in the displayed version. This does not apply if your
stored values are actually text values, despite having the appearance
of numbers.

o If you want the search facility to find complete values in cells,
you can tick the "Entire cells" option in the Find & Replace
dialogue. But if you have a value of two-thirds in a cell but
formatted as 0.667, searching for 0.667 will not find it, because the
actual contents have the value expressed more accurately - as 0.666666... etc.

o The Find & Replace dialogue allows a choice (hidden under More
Options) of searching in Values or Formulae. Note that if you have
=2/3 in a cell and search for "3", it will be found in Formulae but
not in Values.

There are probably other pitfalls.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker