thesaurus.

Sam Schmidt
To Whom It May Concern:

I am happy to build and create a PHP/MySQL based site to maintain an English
(Australian) version of the thesaurus (I noticed only English UK and English
USA is available). I am happy to host this in a not for profit manner on my
server space on fast Australian (geo located here.) servers.

Kind Regards,

Sam.

"
 Creating a new thesaurus

If you are willing to maintain a website to collect and coordinate a
community developed synonym list for any language we need your help. Please
send an e-mail to [hidden email] listing your skills and
interests in being involved in this project. A web-based software for
building a new thesaurus is OpenThesaurus <http://www.openthesaurus.de/>,
which is already successfully used to maintain the German, Polish, and other
thesauri. All you need is some knowledge of PHP and MySQL and some server
space to run your own version of OpenThesaurus.

"

Re: thesaurus.

Daniel Naber-9
On Wednesday 25 July 2007 09:05, Sam Schmidt wrote:

Sam,

> I am happy to build and create a PHP/MySQL based site to maintain an
> English (Australian) version of the thesaurus (I noticed only English UK
> and English USA is available). I am happy to host this in a not for
> profit manner on my server space on fast Australian (geo located here.)
> servers.

thanks for your offer. For most languages, you could indeed start and set
up your own installation of OpenThesaurus. However, English is a special
case as there is already WordNet which covers, as you mentioned, American
and British English. It's not possible to import WordNet into
OpenThesaurus without losing informantion, and even if it was, both
versions would diverge over time. The proper approach is to do some
research on how WordNet could be expanded with Australian English terms in
a way that does not duplicate data. If you would like to do this, that
would be great.

Regards
 Daniel

--