translation source

Taavi Kaevats
Hi,

Translations i should be based on english, right?
for some reason however i often see strings that are different in
english than in any other language..
For example, what are the purposes of these dots in english version
here on the screenshot:
https://pasteboard.co/IVKvLZL.png
Should i include the dots (␠␠ when i copy-paste) into my translation?
(German and French both have 100% complete status for specific
project. Being identical to eachother but differ from English)

Regards,
Taavi

Re: translation source

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello Taavi,

you mean (white)spaces marked with dots?

You can leave them out.

We should remove them from the English cde too,

In the code there are many many whitespaces, so we need help and it
takes time.

Kind regards

Am 21.02.20 um 20:31 schrieb Taavi Kaevats:

> Hi,
>
> Translations i should be based on english, right?
> for some reason however i often see strings that are different in
> english than in any other language..
> For example, what are the purposes of these dots in english version
> here on the screenshot:
> https://pasteboard.co/IVKvLZL.png
> Should i include the dots (␠␠ when i copy-paste) into my translation?
> (German and French both have 100% complete status for specific
> project. Being identical to eachother but differ from English)
>
> Regards,
> Taavi

Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Debian Developer
## PGP encryption welcome

Re: translation source

Dick Groskamp-2
Op 22-2-2020 om 08:40 schreef Mechtilde:

> Hello Taavi,
>
> you mean (white)spaces marked with dots?
>
> You can leave them out.
>
> We should remove them from the English cde too,
>
> In the code there are many many whitespaces, so we need help and it
> takes time.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Am 21.02.20 um 20:31 schrieb Taavi Kaevats:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Translations i should be based on english, right?
>> for some reason however i often see strings that are different in
>> english than in any other language..
>> For example, what are the purposes of these dots in english version
>> here on the screenshot:
>> https://pasteboard.co/IVKvLZL.png
>> Should i include the dots (␠␠ when i copy-paste) into my translation?
>> (German and French both have 100% complete status for specific
>> project. Being identical to eachother but differ from English)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Taavi

Started hunting the superfluous whitespace in the code pages

--
DiGro

Re: translation source

Andrea Pescetti-2
Dick Groskamp wrote:
> Started hunting the superfluous whitespace in the code pages

This is great, but can you please consolidate the numerous PRs into one
(or one per day)? We had only 32 PRs on Github so far and you added 40
more, which makes the review process more complex.

If you can create a new branch including all your PRs (and ideally
removing the end-of-file newline differences) this would be much more
convenient. All redundant PRs will be automatically closed once the "big
one" is merged, so no need to modify them.

Of course, keeping all individual commits is absolutely fine. I'm just
asking to have all of them in one PR; either git merge or git
cherry-pick will work well for this.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: translation source

Dick Groskamp-2
Op 22-2-2020 om 22:28 schreef Andrea Pescetti:

> Dick Groskamp wrote:
>> Started hunting the superfluous whitespace in the code pages
>
> This is great, but can you please consolidate the numerous PRs into
> one (or one per day)? We had only 32 PRs on Github so far and you
> added 40 more, which makes the review process more complex.
>
> If you can create a new branch including all your PRs (and ideally
> removing the end-of-file newline differences) this would be much more
> convenient. All redundant PRs will be automatically closed once the
> "big one" is merged, so no need to modify them.
>
> Of course, keeping all individual commits is absolutely fine. I'm just
> asking to have all of them in one PR; either git merge or git
> cherry-pick will work well for this.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Andrea,

thanks for the feedback.

However, I'm not that a technician with GitHub and I don't have write
access.

I've looked into the Help of GitHub to learn about merging PR's, but
learned that you should have write access, which I haven't.

When I make a PR I'don't have an option to merge it with older/newer
ones (I think, at least I don't see it anywhere)

Regarding " and ideally removing the end-of-file newline differences"
I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I haven't touched the end of the files, most changes are in the
beginning of files.

I did notice a red mark in some files at the end though, but don't know
what they mean

Can you tell me how to  fix it ?

--
DiGro

Re: translation source

Dave Fisher-3
Dirk,

Sent from my iPhone

In looking at https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/committee/openoffice it looks like your DiGro GitHub username is mapped. You should have write access as a committer. You should show as a member of the Apache-openoffice group. There may be an infrastructure issue.

> When I make a PR I'don't have an option to merge it with older/newer ones (I think, at least I don't see it anywhere)
>

> Regarding " and ideally removing the end-of-file newline differences"  I'm not sure what you mean by that.
>
> I haven't touched the end of the files, most changes are in the beginning of files.
>
> I did notice a red mark in some files at the end though, but don't know what they mean
>
> Can you tell me how to  fix it ?

Regards,
Dave

> --
> DiGro

Re: translation source

Matthias Seidel
Hi,

Am 23.02.20 um 15:39 schrieb Dave Fisher:

> Dirk,
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Feb 23, 2020, at 7:14 AM, Dick Groskamp <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> This is great, but can you please consolidate the numerous PRs into one (or one per day)? We had only 32 PRs on Github so far and you added 40 more, which makes the review process more complex.
>>>
>>> If you can create a new branch including all your PRs (and ideally removing the end-of-file newline differences) this would be much more convenient. All redundant PRs will be automatically closed once the "big one" is merged, so no need to modify them.
>>>
>>> Of course, keeping all individual commits is absolutely fine. I'm just asking to have all of them in one PR; either git merge or git cherry-pick will work well for this.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>   Andrea.

>> Andrea,
>>
>> thanks for the feedback.
>>
>> However, I'm not that a technician with GitHub and I don't have write access.
>>
>> I've looked into the Help of GitHub to learn about merging PR's, but learned that you should have write access, which I haven't.
> In looking at https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/committee/openoffice it looks like your DiGro GitHub username is mapped. You should have write access as a committer. You should show as a member of the Apache-openoffice group. There may be an infrastructure issue.
This is self service:

https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/

Regards,

   Matthias

>> When I make a PR I'don't have an option to merge it with older/newer ones (I think, at least I don't see it anywhere)
>>

>> Regarding " and ideally removing the end-of-file newline differences"  I'm not sure what you mean by that.
>>
>> I haven't touched the end of the files, most changes are in the beginning of files.
>>
>> I did notice a red mark in some files at the end though, but don't know what they mean
>>
>> Can you tell me how to  fix it ?
> Regards,
> Dave
>> --
>> DiGro

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: translation source

Andrea Pescetti-2
Dick Groskamp wrote:
> However, I'm not that a technician with GitHub and I don't have write
> access.
> I've looked into the Help of GitHub to learn about merging PR's, but
> learned that you should have write access, which I haven't.

You don't need to merge the PR. You need write access to YOUR so-called
(as Github calls it) "fork" of OpenOffice, i.e., this one
https://github.com/DiGro/openoffice and of course you do have write
access to it.

> When I make a PR I'don't have an option to merge it with older/newer
> ones (I think, at least I don't see it anywhere)

I meant "merge" in the sense of "putting together" (even though one of
the options is to do it through git merge). See it this way if it helps
to get you started: a PR is not a commit; a PR is a SET of commits; so
you should make one PR out of the set of all 40 commits you did. This
means the branch lives (as the 40 new ones you created) in YOUR
repository and the PR contains all changes.

> Regarding " and ideally removing the end-of-file newline differences"
> I'm not sure what you mean by that.

See here for example:
https://github.com/apache/openoffice/pull/63/commits/c544122805251db07510445167f9195d0a5a6d2c
If you scroll to the very last line, you will see what I mean. This is
often an editor setting or a local git configuration.

> I haven't touched the end of the files, most changes are in the
> beginning of files.

The editor did it for you. You need to configure your editor to respect
the conventions in use. The way to do this is of course dependent on the
editor.

> I did notice a red mark in some files at the end though, but don't know
> what they mean

Indeed this is what I mean.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: translation source

Dick Groskamp-2
Op 23-2-2020 om 23:09 schreef Andrea Pescetti:

> Dick Groskamp wrote:
>> However, I'm not that a technician with GitHub and I don't have write
>> access.
>> I've looked into the Help of GitHub to learn about merging PR's, but
>> learned that you should have write access, which I haven't.
>
> You don't need to merge the PR. You need write access to YOUR
> so-called (as Github calls it) "fork" of OpenOffice, i.e., this one
> https://github.com/DiGro/openoffice and of course you do have write
> access to it.
>
>> When I make a PR I'don't have an option to merge it with older/newer
>> ones (I think, at least I don't see it anywhere)
>
> I meant "merge" in the sense of "putting together" (even though one of
> the options is to do it through git merge). See it this way if it
> helps to get you started: a PR is not a commit; a PR is a SET of
> commits; so you should make one PR out of the set of all 40 commits
> you did. This means the branch lives (as the 40 new ones you created)
> in YOUR repository and the PR contains all changes.
>
>> Regarding " and ideally removing the end-of-file newline differences"
>> I'm not sure what you mean by that.
>
> See here for example:
> https://github.com/apache/openoffice/pull/63/commits/c544122805251db07510445167f9195d0a5a6d2c
>
> If you scroll to the very last line, you will see what I mean. This is
> often an editor setting or a local git configuration.
>
>> I haven't touched the end of the files, most changes are in the
>> beginning of files.
>
> The editor did it for you. You need to configure your editor to
> respect the conventions in use. The way to do this is of course
> dependent on the editor.
>
>> I did notice a red mark in some files at the end though, but don't
>> know what they mean
>
> Indeed this is what I mean.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

OK, I think I messed up big time.

I think I made the changes on Apache/OpenOffice, not in DiGro/OpenOffice.

Is it possible to safely remove my PR's ?

Or should I close them all.

--
DiGro

Re: translation source

Andrea Pescetti-2
On 24/02/2020 Dick Groskamp wrote:
> OK, I think I messed up big time.
> I think I made the changes on Apache/OpenOffice, not in DiGro/OpenOffice.
> Is it possible to safely remove my PR's ?

No that is not the issue. It is supposed to be that way. The way PRs
work is this one:
- You create what Github calls a "fork" (your personal copy)
- You commit and push stuff to your fork, usually in a dedicated branch
- When everything is ready, you submit your commits (all of them and not
each of them separately, like you did) as a PR for the "upstream"
repository, i.e., apache/openoffice

> Or should I close them all.

No, please don't. If I find some time to explain in practice how to do
it, I'll combine your PRs and explain, so that everyone doing this in
the future can have a reference.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: translation source

Dick Groskamp-2
Op 25-2-2020 om 10:08 schreef Andrea Pescetti:

> On 24/02/2020 Dick Groskamp wrote:
>> OK, I think I messed up big time.
>> I think I made the changes on Apache/OpenOffice, not in
>> DiGro/OpenOffice.
>> Is it possible to safely remove my PR's ?
>
> No that is not the issue. It is supposed to be that way. The way PRs
> work is this one:
> - You create what Github calls a "fork" (your personal copy)
> - You commit and push stuff to your fork, usually in a dedicated branch
> - When everything is ready, you submit your commits (all of them and
> not each of them separately, like you did) as a PR for the "upstream"
> repository, i.e., apache/openoffice
>
>> Or should I close them all.
>
> No, please don't. If I find some time to explain in practice how to do
> it, I'll combine your PRs and explain, so that everyone doing this in
> the future can have a reference.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Andrea,

thanks, I will read more on the workflow to avoid this issue from
happening again.

Seems I went to fast. My apologies for that

--
DiGro

Re: translation source

Dick Groskamp-2
Op 25-2-2020 om 10:08 schreef Andrea Pescetti:

> On 24/02/2020 Dick Groskamp wrote:
>> OK, I think I messed up big time.
>> I think I made the changes on Apache/OpenOffice, not in
>> DiGro/OpenOffice.
>> Is it possible to safely remove my PR's ?
>
> No that is not the issue. It is supposed to be that way. The way PRs
> work is this one:
> - You create what Github calls a "fork" (your personal copy)
> - You commit and push stuff to your fork, usually in a dedicated branch
> - When everything is ready, you submit your commits (all of them and
> not each of them separately, like you did) as a PR for the "upstream"
> repository, i.e., apache/openoffice
>
>> Or should I close them all.
>
> No, please don't. If I find some time to explain in practice how to do
> it, I'll combine your PRs and explain, so that everyone doing this in
> the future can have a reference.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Andrea,

I found the way to do it.

However, my latest PR, called LATEST, contains 3 files that shouldn't be
there.

Two are about .gitattributes (I added the file but later forgot about it
and encountered it after I made the PR. Then deleted the file, which is
the second .gitattribute commit.)

Last commit concerns a resolved conflict.

Therefore only the commits with "Removed whitespace" should be pushed to
trunk.

Don't know if that is possible though.

--
DiGro