trouble installing grammar checker LanguageTool-0.9.6.oxt

trouble installing grammar checker LanguageTool-0.9.6.oxt

David B Teague
I asked about installation on the OO.o user list and was advised to ask
here.  If this is the right place to ask about installation of the
Language Tool, would someone please help me. If not, please tell me
where to ask.

I downloaded and installed OO.o 3.0.l without JRE since I have JRE 11
already. I downloaded Language Tool 0.9.6 and attempted each of the
several ways listed on the web site to install it.

Each failed, giving the message  "Could not create Java Implementation
Loader". I realized that I had not attached my existing JRE to OO.o, so
I went to

    Tools|Options - OpenOffice - Java

and attached my installled JRE 11, and restarted OO.o but no joy.

Now what do I do?

Warm Regards
David Teague

Re: trouble installing grammar checker LanguageTool-0.9.6.oxt

Marcin Miłkowski
Hi,

the error you mention appears when you have some settings for the JRE in OpenOffice. Click the JRE used in OOo, and remove any settings you have, close OOo completely, restart and try again.

Best of luck,
Marcin

Marcin Miłkowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the error you mention appears when you have some settings for the JRE in OpenOffice. Click the JRE used in OOo, and remove any settings you have, close OOo completely, restart and try again.
>
> Best of luck,
> Marcin

Hi Marcin

I did not know what "settings" you were alking about, so I looked at

OO.o, tools|Options - Java

Java 6.0_11 is displayed. I clicked "parameters", there are none set,
and I clied "Class Path". There is no class path set.

Writer builds a table, sorts columns, and formulas work. I want to
believe that means Java is working, but I really do not know.

I will fetch Language Tool 0.9.6 again just to be sure there isn't
something strange about the download. This had happened with other OO.o
downloads, so this is not unprecedented.

Meanwhile, would you please make further suggestions?

David B Teague wrote:

> Marcin Miłkowski wrote:
>> Hi,
>> <SNIP>
>> Marcin
> Hi Marcin
> <SNIP>
> I will fetch Language Tool 0.9.6 again just to be sure there isn't
> something strange about the download. This had happened with other
> OO.o downloads, so this is not unprecedented.

I fetched the Language Tool again, with the same result on installation
I do have an addition error message:

Adding %EXTENSION_NAME:
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org
3\program\...\share\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages\19D.tmp_\Language
Tool 0.9.6.oxt\Addons.xcu does not exist.

I hope this gives a bit more information about where my difficulty may lie.

With Warmest Regards
David Teague

Re: trouble installing grammar checkerLanguageTool-0.9.6.oxt

Marcin Miłkowski
Hi,

Try to install some other Java-based extension, like Report Builder:

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/reportdesign

If you're having problems with this as well, the problem is your Java settings in OOo. Try to find the file javasettings*.xml in your home directory (Documents and Settings\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\....) and simply remove it. It will get recreated and probably the problems will be gone. Happened to me a couple of times.

Regards,
Marcin

Marcin Miłkowski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Try to install some other Java-based extension, like Report Builder:
>
> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/reportdesign
>
> If you're having problems with this as well, the problem is your Java settings in OOo. Try to find the file javasettings*.xml in your home directory (Documents and Settings\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\....) and simply remove it. It will get recreated and probably the problems will be gone. Happened to me a couple of times.
>
> Regards,
> Marcin
>
> Dnia 29 stycznia 2009 18:27 David B Teague <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

Marcin

That worked. Many thanks. I deleted the Javasettings file and restarted
OO.o. The extension could be installed immediately. I restarted OO.o
Writer yet again. The grammar checker works, but now OO.o spelling isn't
checked as I type. It did underline words that were misspelled but not
anymore. I have looked for a place to turn the spelling as I type back
on, but I can't find it.

Can you help me again?

Regards
David

<SNIP>

Dnia 29 stycznia 2009 21:55 David B Teague <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

> Marcin Miłkowski wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Try to install some other Java-based extension, like Report Builder:
> >
> > http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/reportdesign
> >
> > If you're having problems with this as well, the problem is your Java settings in OOo. Try to find the file javasettings*.xml in your home directory (Documents and Settings\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\....) and simply remove it. It will get recreated and probably the problems will be gone. Happened to me a couple of times.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Marcin
> >
> > Dnia 29 stycznia 2009 18:27 David B Teague  napisał(a):
> >

> Marcin
>
> That worked. Many thanks. I deleted the Javasettings file and restarted
> OO.o. The extension could be installed immediately. I restarted OO.o
> Writer yet again. The grammar checker works, but now OO.o spelling isn't
> checked as I type. It did underline words that were misspelled but not
> anymore. I have looked for a place to turn the spelling as I type back
> on, but I can't find it.
>
> Can you help me again?

Hm, checking as you type is activated via the ABC icon on the toolbar and Tools>Options>Language settings. I have no access to OOo right now, so I'm trying to remember that.

Regards
Marcin

Marcin Miłkowski wrote:

> Dnia 29 stycznia 2009 21:55 David B Teague <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
>

>> Marcin Miłkowski wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Try to install some other Java-based extension, like Report Builder:
>>>
>>> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/reportdesign
>>>
>>> If you're having problems with this as well, the problem is your Java settings in OOo. Try to find the file javasettings*.xml in your home directory (Documents and Settings\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\....) and simply remove it. It will get recreated and probably the problems will be gone. Happened to me a couple of times.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Marcin
>>>
>>> Dnia 29 stycznia 2009 18:27 David B Teague  napisał(a):
>>>

>> Marcin
>>
>> That worked. Many thanks. I deleted the Javasettings file and restarted
>> OO.o. The extension could be installed immediately. I restarted OO.o
>> Writer yet again. The grammar checker works, but now OO.o spelling isn't
>> checked as I type. It did underline words that were misspelled but not
>> anymore. I have looked for a place to turn the spelling as I type back
>> on, but I can't find it.
>>
>> Can you help me again?
>>

> Hm, checking as you type is activated via the ABC icon on the toolbar and Tools>Options>Language settings. I have no access to OOo right now, so I'm trying to remember that.

Marcin

Thanks, I had found that, but it was already turned on.

I have a more fundamental problem with the grammar checker. First, it
doesn't give enough context in it user interface so to decide whether to
agree with its indication of a problem. It also does not have a
dictionary that contains usual non-standard spellings, such as Yahoo!.
In the context, "Yahoo! uses this." it flags "uses" as the uncapitalized
start of a sentence, but it doesn't give the context so I can tell the
difficulty.

It does not understand /grammar, /to wit, the /objective/ case.
Properly, prepositions, /for/, /to/, /of/, etc., take the /objective
/case, in particular, "/him/", "/her/", and "/me/". It happily ignores
"... for he and I." The grammar checker either doesn't check this or
ignore this peccadillo. Or worse the guy who wrote the rules doesn't
know.  I loath to hear or read, in Standard English, "... something for
John and I." Correctly, this is "... for John and *ME*." And most
assuredly not the nausiating "... for John and */myself." / *

I can't get the checker to recheck a page once it has been checked even
if the something on the page has been changed.

I am desperately hoping that the lacks are in me and my use of it, but I
am truly afraid it is not.

These are serious lacks, and I want to help with this, but I have to be
sure I can make what is there work as intended, even if the results are
wrong, before even thinking about actually trying to help.

I HAVE to have a trustworthy spelling checker. OO.o 3.0.1 with the
grammar checker installed does not appear to be such a beast -- yet.

Warmest Regards
David Teague

Re: trouble installing grammarcheckerLanguageTool-0.9.6.oxt

Peter B. West
David B Teague wrote:

> Marcin Miłkowski wrote:
>> Dnia 29 stycznia 2009 21:55 David B Teague <[hidden email]>
>> napisał(a):

>>> Marcin
>>>
>>> That worked. Many thanks. I deleted the Javasettings file and
>>> restarted OO.o. The extension could be installed immediately. I
>>> restarted OO.o Writer yet again. The grammar checker works, but now
>>> OO.o spelling isn't checked as I type. It did underline words that
>>> were misspelled but not anymore. I have looked for a place to turn
>>> the spelling as I type back on, but I can't find it.
>>>
>>> Can you help me again?
>>>

>> Hm, checking as you type is activated via the ABC icon on the toolbar
>> and Tools>Options>Language settings. I have no access to OOo right
>> now, so I'm trying to remember that.
>>
> Marcin
>
> Thanks, I had found that, but it was already turned on.
>
> I have a more fundamental problem with the grammar checker. First, it
> doesn't give enough context in it user interface so to decide whether to
> agree with its indication of a problem. It also does not have a
> dictionary that contains usual non-standard spellings, such as Yahoo!.
> In the context, "Yahoo! uses this." it flags "uses" as the uncapitalized
> start of a sentence, but it doesn't give the context so I can tell the
> difficulty.
>
> It does not understand /grammar, /to wit, the /objective/ case.
> Properly, prepositions, /for/, /to/, /of/, etc., take the /objective
> /case, in particular, "/him/", "/her/", and "/me/". It happily ignores
> "... for he and I." The grammar checker either doesn't check this or
> ignore this peccadillo. Or worse the guy who wrote the rules doesn't
> know.  I loath to hear or read, in Standard English, "... something for

...........loathe hearing ....
 or
...........am loath to hear....

Otherwise, this pedant agrees entirely,

--
Peter B. West <http://cv.pbw.id.au/>
Folio <http://defoe.sourceforge.net/folio/folio.html>

Peter B. West wrote:

> David B Teague wrote:
>
>> Marcin Miłkowski wrote:

>> <SNIP>
>>
>> It does not understand /grammar, /to wit, the /objective/ case.
>> Properly, prepositions, /for/, /to/, /of/, etc., take the /objective
>> /case, in particular, "/him/", "/her/", and "/me/". It happily ignores
>> "... for he and I." The grammar checker either doesn't check this or
>> ignore this peccadillo. Or worse the guy who wrote the rules doesn't
>> know.  *I loath to hear or read,* in Standard English, "... something for
>>

> ...........loathe hearing ....
>  or
> ...........am loath to hear....
>
> Otherwise, this pedant agrees entirely,

This fellow pedant agrees whole heartedly! Thanks!
David

<SNIP>