trouble with program that i cant figure out

trouble with program that i cant figure out

B.D. M.
downloaded email document but when opened it is a bunch of symbols and unreadable. what is the problem and how to correct.
I purchsed openoffice because my computer didnt have microsoft word or excell, and for the most part openoffice is working just fine but can't read anything from my email downloaded. I have gone to help but can't get answer.( help) also i deleted a file by mistake, can i get it back, how. I tried to look up this in help but could not find answer. Thank You

Re: trouble with program that i cant figure out

Andrew Pitonyak

Couple of comments:

First, the API list is probably not the best list for such a question. I
recommend that you use the user's mailing list (see
http://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-lists.html)

You can subscribe by sending an email to :
[hidden email]

You can then send questions here: [hidden email]

When you subscribe to a mailing list, you receive email for all
questions and answers, not just yours, so, you may receive a lot of
email (20 to 100 per day). If you do not subscribe, you will not see the
response unless the person responding knows that you are not subscribed
and chooses to copy their answer to you personally. On the API list,
since you are not subscribed, your email to the list will not go to the
list until a moderator approves your email, so it can be delayed for a
long time until a moderator does this.

If you join the forum, you can do this without receiving a bunch of email

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/

Now, I have some concerns with your question. One of my concerns is that
you state that you purchased OpenOffice. You can download OpenOffice for
free

http://www.openoffice.org/

Verify your version of OpenOffice. The latest version is 4.0.1 I
believe. If your version says LibreOffice rather than OpenOffice, that
would be useful to know.

On 01/04/2014 10:08 AM, B.D. M. wrote:
> downloaded email document but when opened it is a bunch of symbols and unreadable. what is the problem and how to correct.
> I purchsed openoffice because my computer didnt have microsoft word or excell, and for the most part openoffice is working just fine but can't read anything from my email downloaded. I have gone to help but can't get answer.( help) also i deleted a file by mistake, can i get it back, how. I tried to look up this in help but could not find answer. Thank You

What, exactly, do you mean? Do you mean that you received an email
message that contains a document and you attempt to open the attached
document? I will assume you do mean this. If not, well, I just wasted
your time and mine! :-(

A few questions for you, that may allow you to answer your own question.

1. How do you read your email? Are you using web mail? I see that you
have a hotmail account, so, I assume that you are reading your email
using a web browser.

2. How do you try to open the document? Do you save the document and
then use File > Open from OpenOffice, or, do you simply double click on
the document while running your email program? If you are NOT saving the
file to disk, especially if you are using your web browser, try saving
the file to your local computer and then use File > Open to open the file.

3. What is the document's file extension? I think that the file must
have the correct file extension for OpenOffice to open it. As an
example, it might end with ".doc", ".docx", or ".odt". If you have a
file encoded as DOCX, then it must have the ".docx" file extension
(someone jump in if I am mistaken).

I hope that this helps a little.

--
Andrew Pitonyak