Quantcast

trying to get a template from the page...

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

trying to get a template from the page...

Sarah Kragness
says 'access denied'... for the cBrainpower1.3 - creative learning made
easy (OpenOffice sample database)

SO WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO, SINCE IT'S ON A TEMPLATE DOWNLOAD PAGE?????????
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: trying to get a template from the page...

toki
On 02/20/2017 04:35 AM, Sarah Kragness wrote:

> says 'access denied'... for the cBrainpower1.3 - creative learning made

The version on the AOo extension page has been obsolete for at least
five years.

> SO WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO, SINCE IT'S ON A TEMPLATE DOWNLOAD PAGE?????????

Get version 2.1 from http://openofficeapps.weebly.com/

#####

I don't get the apparent popularity of this extension:

The more I look at this extension, the more I think that an extension
that implements PILOT, a la LibreLogo for LibO, would be more useful.

jonathon

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: trying to get a template from the page...

Martin Groenescheij


On 20/02/17 6:49 PM, toki wrote:
> On 02/20/2017 04:35 AM, Sarah Kragness wrote:
>
>> says 'access denied'... for the cBrainpower1.3 - creative learning made
> The version on the AOo extension page has been obsolete for at least
> five years.

So who is responsible to maintain this website?

>
>> SO WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO, SINCE IT'S ON A TEMPLATE DOWNLOAD PAGE?????????
> Get version 2.1 from http://openofficeapps.weebly.com/

This website doesn't allow to download it said "Download (Inaktiv)"

>
> #####
>
> I don't get the apparent popularity of this extension:
>
> The more I look at this extension, the more I think that an extension
> that implements PILOT, a la LibreLogo for LibO, would be more useful.

It's not up to us to discuss the functionality / use fullness of an
extension, but if it is available on the extension web page
it should be downloadable otherwise the extension should be removed.

>
> jonathon
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: trying to get a template from the page...

toki
On 02/21/2017 05:23 AM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

> So who is responsible to maintain this website?

>> Get version 2.1 from http://openofficeapps.weebly.com/
> This website doesn't allow to download it said "Download (Inaktiv)"

CBrainPower_2.01.odb
Filesize 1.1 MB, 1146983 bytes
date: 2013-10-17

It is CSalesFacts that has both an extension, and a database, not
CBrainPower

> It's not up to us to discuss the functionality / usefullness of an extension,

I'm question both why people want to download this specific file, and
what useful functionality this template offers, especially as compared
to the description.

> but if it is available on the extension web page it should be
downloadable otherwise the extension should be removed.

a) This gets into the philosophy of when, and under what circumstances
all mention of a template, or extension, is removed;

b) OTOH, this could be a system glitch. Unremovable due to circumstances
beyond the control of the website maintainer.

jonathon

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: trying to get a template from the page...

Martin Groenescheij


On 21/02/17 8:51 PM, toki wrote:

> On 02/21/2017 05:23 AM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>
>> So who is responsible to maintain this website?
>>> Get version 2.1 from http://openofficeapps.weebly.com/
>> This website doesn't allow to download it said "Download (Inaktiv)"
> CBrainPower_2.01.odb
> Filesize 1.1 MB, 1146983 bytes
> date: 2013-10-17
>
> It is CSalesFacts that has both an extension, and a database, not
> CBrainPower

The problem was that the user get the message "Access Denied", not
judging the usefulness of the extension

>
>> It's not up to us to discuss the functionality / usefullness of an extension,
> I'm question both why people want to download this specific file, and
> what useful functionality this template offers, especially as compared
> to the description.

It's not your job to question the why. The extension is on the website
so it should be downloadable or removed.

>
>> but if it is available on the extension web page it should be
> downloadable otherwise the extension should be removed.
>
> a) This gets into the philosophy of when, and under what circumstances
> all mention of a template, or extension, is removed;

The number of problems reported on the user list is to high to ignore,
only this year there were 11 issues
on the user mailing list

>
> b) OTOH, this could be a system glitch. Unremovable due to circumstances
> beyond the control of the website maintainer.

If a site administrator has a problem to maintain the site he should
escalate the problem.

>
> jonathon
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: trying to get a template from the page...

toki
On 02/22/2017 02:16 AM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

> It's not your job to question the why. The extension is on the website
> so it should be downloadable or removed.

If we know why they are wanting the template, then one might be able to
either suggest an alternative, or create it, using the specifications
provided by the individual that wanted the "Access Denied" template.


> The number of problems reported on the user list is to high to ignore,
> only this year there were 11 issues on the user mailing list

That is probably because the "Access Denied" templates appear to be
concentrated on the landing page, and other heavily viewed pages.


>> b) OTOH, this could be a system glitch. Unremovable due to circumstances
>> beyond the control of the website maintainer.
>
> If a site administrator has a problem to maintain the site he should escalate the problem.

Given that the Apache OpenOffice website maintainers don't have access
to the site that delivers the content ...

jonathon


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: trying to get a template from the page...

Julian Thomas

> On Feb 24, 2017, at 03:26, toki <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Given that the Apache OpenOffice website maintainers don't have access
> to the site that delivers the content ...

can't this be fixed somehow?

----
Julian Thomas   - http://jt-mj.net

Literature encourages tolerance - bigots and fanatics seldom have any use for the arts, because they're so preoccupied with their beliefs and actions that they can't see them also as possibilities. - Northrop Frye






---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: trying to get a template from the page...

Martin Groenescheij
In reply to this post by toki


On 24/02/17 7:26 PM, toki wrote:
> On 02/22/2017 02:16 AM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>
>> It's not your job to question the why. The extension is on the website
>> so it should be downloadable or removed.
> If we know why they are wanting the template, then one might be able to
> either suggest an alternative, or create it, using the specifications
> provided by the individual that wanted the "Access Denied" template.

That's a one off solution, next user will report the same problem

>
>
>> The number of problems reported on the user list is to high to ignore,
>> only this year there were 11 issues on the user mailing list
> That is probably because the "Access Denied" templates appear to be
> concentrated on the landing page, and other heavily viewed pages.

It has nothing to do with heavily viewed pages, because if you search a
template response is fast.
The issue is that if the link is not maintained by the originator of the
template, you get errors.

>
>
>>> b) OTOH, this could be a system glitch. Unremovable due to circumstances
>>> beyond the control of the website maintainer.
>> If a site administrator has a problem to maintain the site he should escalate the problem.
> Given that the Apache OpenOffice website maintainers don't have access
> to the site that delivers the content ...

But they could change their OpenOffice.org page.
At the moment the page gives the impression that the template and
extension pages are owned by Apache OpenOffice
Changing the text so that it is clear that these pages are NOT owned by
Apache OpenOffice will solve a lot of issues

>
> jonathon
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: trying to get a template from the page...

toki
On 02/27/2017 09:47 AM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>> If we know why they are wanting the template, then one might be able to
>> either suggest an alternative, or create it, using the specifications
> That's a one off solution, next user will report the same problem

If the reconstructed/new template is placed on the template site, in
theory, it will rank higher than the "access denied" template.

>> concentrated on the landing page, and other heavily viewed pages.
> It has nothing to do with heavily viewed pages, because if you search a

I didn't bookmark the specific template (CBrainPower), but searching for
it on the template site returns "Search found 0 items".

> The issue is that if the link is not maintained by the originator of the template, you get errors.

What link are you talking about?

Grabbing the second template on the landing page for Templates,
"Scenario Template", the displayed message is "Mise-en page pour
scénario"
(http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/template/scenario-template
) and nothing else.

Trying a second template "Music template",
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/template/music-paper, the
download link is to
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/template/download/70 . The
license links to http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/BSD.pdf. The only
offsite link I could find was to
https://sourceforge.net/projects/aoo-templates/files/70/stats/timeline?dates=2017-02-12+to+2017-02-26
, and, if you want to press it,
https://sourceforge.net/projects/aoo-templates/files/70/music_paper.ott/download
, which masquerades as
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/template/download/70

> At the moment the page gives the impression that the template and
> extension pages are owned by Apache OpenOffice

Technically, the webpages for both templates and extensions are owned by
Apache Software Foundation.

jonathon

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Loading...