[ui-dev] Do we need an OOo Accessibility mailing list?

[ui-dev] Do we need an OOo Accessibility mailing list?

Malte Timmermann
Sorry for cross posting, but I want to catch people on the different
lists. Please follow-up to [hidden email], I assume all people read
that...

OOo Accessibility is a very important thing, but we don't have a central
mailing list for this.

- Some people discuss on [hidden email], mostly the developers,
some QA members will not recognize...
- Some start discussions on [hidden email] in the moment they
find some problems, while not all developers read them...
- Other people don't know which list to use, and simply use
[hidden email]...

I would prefer to have *one* mailing list for *all* accessibility
related things.

Also it's hard for people new on OOo to find the 'entry point' for
accessibility related information.

So the next step would be to introduce something like
openoffice.org/access, to help people finding the information they need.

This page would contain the information you need for a 'quick start':
- Links to OOo/AT how-tos and other stuff from
http://ui.openoffice.org/accessibility/
- Which mailing list to use => the new accessibility mailing list.

Very great would be a link to openoffice.org/access on the main page :)

Any opinions?
- Would the list be helpful / welcome?
- Should it be [hidden email], or [hidden email]?

Thanks,
Malte.

Re: [ui-dev] Do we need an OOo Accessibility mailing list?

Peter Korn-2
Hi Malte,

I think this is an excellent idea, thanks for proposing it.  I suggest
<[hidden email]> unless it is too long to type (our <[hidden email]>
alias gets a surprising number of messages from folks wanting card-key access
to a particular building...).  If address length is an issue, 'a11y' is
becomming a common abbreviation, like 'i18n' is for 'internatinalization'.  So
another choice would be <[hidden email]>.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Malte Timmermann wrote:

> Sorry for cross posting, but I want to catch people on the different
> lists. Please follow-up to [hidden email], I assume all people read
> that...
>
> OOo Accessibility is a very important thing, but we don't have a central
> mailing list for this.
>
> - Some people discuss on [hidden email], mostly the developers,
> some QA members will not recognize...
> - Some start discussions on [hidden email] in the moment they
> find some problems, while not all developers read them...
> - Other people don't know which list to use, and simply use
> [hidden email]...
>
> I would prefer to have *one* mailing list for *all* accessibility
> related things.
>
> Also it's hard for people new on OOo to find the 'entry point' for
> accessibility related information.
>
> So the next step would be to introduce something like
> openoffice.org/access, to help people finding the information they need.
>
> This page would contain the information you need for a 'quick start':
> - Links to OOo/AT how-tos and other stuff from
> http://ui.openoffice.org/accessibility/
> - Which mailing list to use => the new accessibility mailing list.
>
> Very great would be a link to openoffice.org/access on the main page :)
>
> Any opinions?
> - Would the list be helpful / welcome?
> - Should it be [hidden email], or [hidden email]?
>
> Thanks,
> Malte.

Re: [ui-dev] Do we need an OOo Accessibility mailing list?

Jonathon Blake
On 11/14/05, Peter Korn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Malte,
>
> I think this is an excellent idea, thanks for proposing it.  I suggest
> <[hidden email]> unless it is too long to type (our <[hidden email]>
> alias gets a surprising number of messages from folks wanting card-key access
> to a particular building...).  If address length is an issue, 'a11y' is
> becomming a common abbreviation, like 'i18n' is for 'internatinalization'.  So
> another choice would be <[hidden email]>.
>

> Regards,
>
> Peter Korn
> Accessibility Architect,
> Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>
> Malte Timmermann wrote:
> > Sorry for cross posting, but I want to catch people on the different
> > lists. Please follow-up to [hidden email], I assume all people read
> > that...
> >
> > OOo Accessibility is a very important thing, but we don't have a central
> > mailing list for this.
> >
> > - Some people discuss on [hidden email], mostly the developers,
> > some QA members will not recognize...
> > - Some start discussions on [hidden email] in the moment they
> > find some problems, while not all developers read them...
> > - Other people don't know which list to use, and simply use
> > [hidden email]...
> >
> > I would prefer to have *one* mailing list for *all* accessibility
> > related things.
> >
> > Also it's hard for people new on OOo to find the 'entry point' for
> > accessibility related information.
> >
> > So the next step would be to introduce something like
> > openoffice.org/access, to help people finding the information they need.
> >
> > This page would contain the information you need for a 'quick start':
> > - Links to OOo/AT how-tos and other stuff from
> > http://ui.openoffice.org/accessibility/
> > - Which mailing list to use => the new accessibility mailing list.
> >
> > Very great would be a link to openoffice.org/access on the main page :)
> >
> > Any opinions?
> > - Would the list be helpful / welcome?
> > - Should it be [hidden email], or [hidden email]?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Malte.

Does your Office Suite conform to ISO Standards?

Re: [ui-dev] Do we need an OOo Accessibility mailing list?

Laurent Godard-3
Hi

> I think this is an excellent idea, thanks for proposing it.  I suggest
> <[hidden email]> unless it is too long to type (our
> <[hidden email]> alias gets a surprising number of messages from folks
> wanting card-key access to a particular building...).  If address length
> is an issue, 'a11y' is becomming a common abbreviation, like 'i18n' is
> for 'internatinalization'.  So another choice would be <[hidden email]>.

i would vote for [hidden email]
it is long, but clear, understandable and advertisable

Laurent

--
Laurent Godard <[hidden email]> - Ing?nierie OpenOffice.org
Indesko >> http://www.indesko.com

Re: [ui-dev] Do we need an OOo Accessibility mailing list?

daniel.rentz
Laurent Godard schrieb:

> Hi
>
>> I think this is an excellent idea, thanks for proposing it.  I suggest
>> <[hidden email]> unless it is too long to type (our
>> <[hidden email]> alias gets a surprising number of messages from folks
>> wanting card-key access to a particular building...).  If address
>> length is an issue, 'a11y' is becomming a common abbreviation, like
>> 'i18n' is for 'internatinalization'.  So another choice would be
>> <[hidden email]>.
>>

> i would vote for [hidden email]
> it is long, but clear, understandable and advertisable

+1 for the clear and understandable [hidden email]

And, of course, you won't type the address every time you write a
message, right? ;-)

Daniel

Re: [ui-dev] Do we need an OOo Accessibility mailing list?

Kazunari Hirano
Hi,
> >> So another choice would be
> >> <[hidden email]>.
> > i would vote for [hidden email]
> +1 for the clear and understandable [hidden email]
+1 for [hidden email].
A Japanese can find "accessibility" in an English-Japanese IT
Terminology Dictionary.
When I first saw "a11y", I looked for "ally" and was wondering what is
the relationship between the user interface and Ally McBeal, Ally
Pally, Ally Walker :)
Thanks,
khirano

Re: [ui-dev] Do we need an OOo Accessibility mailing list?

Pierre LAURIER
Le mercredi 16 Novembre 2005 10:49, Kazunari Hirano a ?crit :
> +1 for [hidden email].
> A Japanese can find "accessibility" in an English-Japanese IT
> Terminology Dictionary.
> When I first saw "a11y", I looked for "ally" and was wondering what is
> the relationship between the user interface and Ally McBeal, Ally

+1 also for accessibility. And same remark : "a11y" is not understandable for
common people. I personnaly don't have any idea what it refers to.

Best regards,
--
Pierre LAURIER - OpenPGP ID 0x2FB3B317

mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [ui-dev] Do we need an OOo Accessibility mailing list?

Bill Haneman
Unfortunately I think the 'ui.openoffice.org' domain is not nearly as
good as
"[hidden email]".  I think we should "push back" on any
decision not to allow such an email address, or at least an alias.

Bill