unable to open a specific document

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

unable to open a specific document

Harvey Fishero
Sirs,

I have a 1.2 MB document I’ve filed in Documents as I’ve opened it to add to it and closed it.  The last time I opened it, February of this year, it wouldn’t open.  Somehow, I got it to open in Pages.  I did my work on the document and closed it.  At that time I checked to see that it was stored back into Documents.  I cannot open it now. When I click on it and then click on the “Open” box, the screen reverts to the opening screen for Apache Open Office (offers choices of Text Document, Spreadsheet, Presentation, Open, Drawing, Database, Formula, Templates).  Other documents filed in Documents are opening ok.

Help, please?

Harvey Fishero
[hidden email]
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unable to open a specific document

Craig Russell-2
Hi,

When you worked on the document in Pages, it was saved as a pages document.

To use it with OpenOffice, open it again with Pages and export it to Word format.

You should now be able to open the document with OpenOffice by right clicking the file and using "Open with... OpenOffice".

Regards,

Craig

> On Aug 5, 2019, at 11:43 AM, Harvey Fishero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sirs,
>
> I have a 1.2 MB document I’ve filed in Documents as I’ve opened it to add to it and closed it.  The last time I opened it, February of this year, it wouldn’t open.  Somehow, I got it to open in Pages.  I did my work on the document and closed it.  At that time I checked to see that it was stored back into Documents.  I cannot open it now. When I click on it and then click on the “Open” box, the screen reverts to the opening screen for Apache Open Office (offers choices of Text Document, Spreadsheet, Presentation, Open, Drawing, Database, Formula, Templates).  Other documents filed in Documents are opening ok.
>
> Help, please?
>
> Harvey Fishero
> [hidden email]
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

Craig L Russell
[hidden email]


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unable to open a specific document

Craig Russell-2
Hi Harvey,

Thanks for letting us know.

Regards,

Craig

> On Aug 9, 2019, at 2:14 PM, Harvey Fishero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just to close the loop, the rtf suggestion worked like a champ!  Thank you!
>
> Harvey
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 5, 2019, at 5:51 PM, Craig Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> If there is not much formatting, you could try exporting it as rich text format (rtf).
>>
>> You might try to upgrade to the latest version of OpenOffice in case there is some known issue.
>>
>>> On Aug 5, 2019, at 2:41 PM, Harvey Fishero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, sir, the document was found in Finder and I opened it and exported it to Word.
>>>
>>> I returned to Open Document and tried to open the Word copy of the document.  I get a notice that Open Office quit unexpectedly.
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>>> On Aug 5, 2019, at 3:39 PM, Harvey Fishero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Actually at a meeting away from home.  Will be back at that Mac in about 45 min and will try that.
>>>>
>>>> Bet it works.
>>>>
>>>> Thank you.
>>>>
>>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>>
>>>>> On Aug 5, 2019, at 3:38 PM, Craig Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> Try locating the document using Finder, and double click on the file. It should open in Pages.
>>>>>
>>>>> Does this work?
>>>>>
>>>>>> On Aug 5, 2019, at 1:34 PM, Harvey Fishero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> No, sir.  When I click on in using Open Office Documents file, the lower right corner of the Open Office page reveals a blue “Open” button.  I click the blue button and the screen reverts to Open Office opening screen.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I’m using a Mac.  Pages is Apple, not Open Office.  Do I need to close Open Office and open Pages on my Mac, find the document in Pages and open it, close it in Word format and then return to Open Office and open the document in its new Word format?  If so, you have any idea how I find Pages on my Mac?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I really apologize to you for being a numbskull.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Aug 5, 2019, at 3:19 PM, Craig Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> On Aug 5, 2019, at 1:09 PM, Harvey Fishero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Thank you for replying.  I’m really a novice.
>>>>>>>> When I try to open it from Pages, it doesn’t open.  Rather, reverts to the Open Office opening page
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I located the document by searching in Documents “Open Pages”.  The document shows up as result of the search and Pages is shown as the kind of document.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> If you double click on the document, it should open in Pages. Does this work?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I can’t find a file named Pages, only that the document is in Pages.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> How can I find Pages and open it?
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> On Aug 5, 2019, at 2:52 PM, Craig Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> When you worked on the document in Pages, it was saved as a pages document.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> To use it with OpenOffice, open it again with Pages and export it to Word format.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> You should now be able to open the document with OpenOffice by right clicking the file and using "Open with... OpenOffice".
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Regards,
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Craig
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> On Aug 5, 2019, at 11:43 AM, Harvey Fishero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Sirs,
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> I have a 1.2 MB document I’ve filed in Documents as I’ve opened it to add to it and closed it.  The last time I opened it, February of this year, it wouldn’t open.  Somehow, I got it to open in Pages.  I did my work on the document and closed it.  At that time I checked to see that it was stored back into Documents.  I cannot open it now. When I click on it and then click on the “Open” box, the screen reverts to the opening screen for Apache Open Office (offers choices of Text Document, Spreadsheet, Presentation, Open, Drawing, Database, Formula, Templates).  Other documents filed in Documents are opening ok.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Help, please?
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Harvey Fishero
>>>>>>>>>> [hidden email]
>>>>>>>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>>>>>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Craig L Russell
>>>>>>>>> [hidden email]
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Craig L Russell
>>>>>>> [hidden email]
>>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Craig L Russell
>>>>> [hidden email]
>>>>>
>>
>> Craig L Russell
>> [hidden email]
>>

Craig L Russell
[hidden email]


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]