unsubscribing from the mailing list

YoheY - OpenOffice
Dear All,
who may not succeeded in unsubscribing from this list and tied to
OpenOffice for eternity.

Today I helped in such a case in private mail and I feel it would be
useful to share it with the silent ones too.

So, unsubscribing is very easy, let's try it again:
At the end of every mailing list letter there is a line 'To unsubscribe,
e-mail: [hidden email]'.
Please check it.

You don't have to write anything, it's automatic, just send a mail -
even empty - to this address.
In a few minutes, you'll receive an automatic response from
[hidden email].

Check this part:
"To confirm that you would like

    (YOUR MAIL ADDRESS APPEARS HERE)

removed from the l10n mailing list, please send a short reply
to this address:

    (YOUR LINK APPEARS HERE)"

Short reply might be a simple click of 'reply' button, without anything
to ask or tell in your message.

In case of trouble, read the instructions in the letter and act as
described there.
If you can't find this letter, look for it in your SPAM and TRASH folder
too and check your email filters!

Good luck, best regards,
csaba

Re: unsubscribing from the mailing list

YoheY - OpenOffice
Dear All,
who want to help those who do not want to be disturbed by the mailing
lists anymore...

I would like to suggest to set up a subpage under Support or some other
section, to assist somehow the unsubscribing process.

Why is it good/needed?
- those, who are not interested anymore in the mailing list, probably do
not read the mails
- maybe the mails are banned, marked as spam or treated somehow to be
unable to read
- if someone needs help, the info will be searchable through search
engines and will be available without emails
- outgoing mails may be banned to unsubscribe
- some users may need some technical help
- misread or misunderstanding something
- anything else, which we cannot forsee

Those, who are registered on the mailing list, once tried to help the
project somehow. The minimum we can give back is to ensure the free
leave... and help it, if it's necessary. Then these people will remember
AOO as a helpful team, not as a catch unable to get rid of.

Formerly I tried to help in private mails, but I only know the result
when I got feedback. Without it, I do not know, if
- they did not received my mail
- they do not understand what to do
- they don't care at all
- they succeeded

So, here is the page I imagined. If you find it useful, please someone
load it up.
Localization would be very useful, I guess it would be much more easier
to understand the process in someone's native language. CSS styling will
be done later. Any ideas ans personal contact list subscriptions are
welcomed. English language should be revised.

Regards,
csaba

the page

<head>
     <title>Apache OpenOffice support - unsubsribing from the mailing
list</title>
     @import url(/support/print.css);
</head>
     <h1 class="welcometitle">Apache OpenOffice support - unsubscribing
from the mailing list</h1>

OpenOffice!</b><br>
         If you receive emails from any OpenOffice mailing list, it
means you - or someone else - registered your email address to one of
our servers, to support our work somehow or get info from us.<br>
         Since you are here, you probably receive emails from us - from
our other contributors through the mailing list - which are unnecessary
for you anymore,<br>
         Here are the steps to unsubscribe from the mailing list.
     <ol>
         <li>
             Identify the email address which receives emails from
OpenOffice mailing list.<br>
             You may have more than one email address or use a certain
service, - like gmail - to gather your emails from other addresses too.<br>
             Later you should use to unsubscribe exactly the SAME email
address you specify here.<br>
             If you send your request mail from other address, you won't
be unsubscribed, since that other address is not registered on the
mailing list.
         </li>
         <li>
             Send an empty mail to ***-[hidden email]
from the specified email address above.<br>
             Replace *** with the actual list name you receive emails
from, such as 'l10n', 'dev', 'qa' or other.<br>
             Don't stop here!<br>
             It's only the half of the job, you won't be unsubscribed if
you stop here.
         </li>
         <li>
             In a few minutes, you'll receive an automatic response from
***-[hidden email].<br>
             *** stands for the listname you sent your request mail in
the previous step.<br>
             For those, who use free email servers, please note, that a
few minutes may extend to few hours or even a day to show up our
automatic response mail.
         </li>
         <li>
             If you can't find our automatic response mail, look for it
in your SPAM and TRASH folder too.<br>
             Check if your antivius software has a folder in your email
software and look in that folder too.<br>
             Check if you did not block our email address.<br>
             Check your email filters if our message is not deleted
instantly or labeled somehow not to show amongst other emails.
         </li>
         <li>
             If you received our automatic response mail, check this
part:<br>
             "To confirm that you would like<br>
             (YOUR MAIL ADDRESS APPEARS HERE)<br>
             removed from the *** mailing list, please send a short
reply<br>
             to this address:<br>
             (YOUR LINK APPEARS HERE)"
         </li>
         <li>
             Now click on the 'Reply' button to confirm your will.<br>
             Do not ask or tell anything in your message, it's automated.
         </li>
         <li>
             Send the mail.
         </li>
         <li>
             Congratulations!<br>
             You've done it.
     </ol>
     <ul>
         </li>
         <li>
             If you get stuck, read the instructions in our previously
received automatic response mail - mentioned above - and act as
described there.
         </li>
         <li>
             For more info on mailing lists, please visit
             <a
href="http://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-lists.html#localization-mailing-list-public"
target="_blank">
http://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-lists.html#localization-mailing-list-public
             </a>
         </li>
         <li>
             In case of trouble, you may need some personal contact.<br>
             Please feel free to ask for help from the list below:<br>
             Do not forget to look for the answer mail in the places
mentioned in step 4.<br>
             Note, that our volunteers need some time to help you, they
do it in their free time.
         </li>
         <li>
             Good luck and thank you for your contribution!
         </li>
     </ul>

On 2016-08-11 17:16, Kádár Csaba - YoheY [OpenOffice] wrote:

> Dear All,
> who may not succeeded in unsubscribing from this list and tied to
> OpenOffice for eternity.
>
> Today I helped in such a case in private mail and I feel it would be
> useful to share it with the silent ones too.
>
> So, unsubscribing is very easy, let's try it again:
> At the end of every mailing list letter there is a line 'To
> unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]'.
> Please check it.
>
> You don't have to write anything, it's automatic, just send a mail -
> even empty - to this address.
> In a few minutes, you'll receive an automatic response from
> [hidden email].
>
> Check this part:
> "To confirm that you would like
>
>    (YOUR MAIL ADDRESS APPEARS HERE)
>
> removed from the l10n mailing list, please send a short reply
> to this address:
>
>    (YOUR LINK APPEARS HERE)"
>
> Short reply might be a simple click of 'reply' button, without
> anything to ask or tell in your message.
>
> In case of trouble, read the instructions in the letter and act as
> described there.
> If you can't find this letter, look for it in your SPAM and TRASH
> folder too and check your email filters!
>
> Good luck, best regards,
> csaba

Re: unsubscribing from the mailing list

Aivaras Stepukonis
Kádár,

Thanks for the proposal and the thought you've put into it.

Why not to take a simpler route (I guess I'm just being lazy)? The
emails from [hidden email] already contain a footer with:

I'd think this is the most widespread way of unsubscribing from mailing
lists overall: the no-longer-solicited message includes a line on how to
stop getting it in the future.

The problem is that some of the emails from [hidden email]
do not have the footer. I haven't traced the cause for this, yet. It
looks like it got to do with forwarding and/or partial quoting.

So perhaps forcing all email going through [hidden email] to
include the aforementioned footer would be enough?

Aivaras

2016-09-19 17:27, Kádár Csaba - YoheY [OpenOffice] rašė:

> [...]
>> unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]'.
>> Please check it.
>>
>> You don't have to write anything, it's automatic, just send a mail -
>> even empty - to this address.
>> In a few minutes, you'll receive an automatic response from
>> [hidden email].
>>
>> Check this part:
>> "To confirm that you would like
>>
>>    (YOUR MAIL ADDRESS APPEARS HERE)
>>
>> removed from the l10n mailing list, please send a short reply
>> to this address:
>>
>>    (YOUR LINK APPEARS HERE)"
>>
>> Short reply might be a simple click of 'reply' button, without
>> anything to ask or tell in your message.
>>
>> In case of trouble, read the instructions in the letter and act as
>> described there.
>> If you can't find this letter, look for it in your SPAM and TRASH
>> folder too and check your email filters!

Hi Aivaras!

Some answers:

- 'Why not to take a simpler route (I guess I'm just being lazy)?'
- Being lazy doesn't help others. :) (But I know you work a lot on this
project.)
- 'The emails from [hidden email] already contain a footer with:
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]'
- Yes, I know, I always start with it. But, as you mentioned, it's not
written always.
And what if the problems I mentioned previously are exist on someone's
system?
One of the persons, who asked for help wanted to quit since 2013 fall.
Yes, three years of unwanted messages. And probably there are 'older'
ones too.

- 'So perhaps forcing all email going through [hidden email]
to include the aforementioned footer would be enough?'
- I guess through the three years there were a lot of correctly
undersigned l10n mail to notice it, Maybe it would not be enough.

So, dear all, it was just a suggestion to help somehow. I did the
English html file - written in my previous mail - and will do all the
html work if needed.

And one more thing to press this thing: right after your response, I
asked for help in unsubscription from l10n-help. I got an automated
answer, so I went on and asked for help again, but this time from
l10n-owner. Approximately two weeks gone. No answer. No anything. This
is the official way.

Regards to all,
csaba