version question

Bugzilla from jsowden@americansentry.net
Last night I downloaded a win and lin copy of ooo.   The Lin filename had
2.0.0 in the name.  The green box on bootup said 2.0, without the 'beta', but
in the 'about'  box, it said the build was 1.9.79.2.3 and there it was
described as '2.0-pre'.

Do I have version 2.0?  Is there a menu selection/feature that I can bring up
to confirm this is 2.0?

2ndQ: Can I control how OOo opens, instead of home/templates/samples?
I put my data files in an encrypted partition, not my home directory.  If I
could create a custom opening screen with buttons that I can direct the
program to execute in a specific manner, that would be neat.

--
John R. Sowden
AMERICAN SENTRY SYSTEMS, INC.

Re: version question

Paul
1/ I think this may just be an oversight in not updating the 'about
box'. The numbering convention, eg, 1.9.X..., will probably remain to
keep a track of what releases the developers are working on, but there
should be no 'pre' label.

If you downloaded 2.0 from www.openoffice.org and have done the MD5
check, then rest assured it will be Version 2.0.

2/ You can set where everything is stored, by looking in tools > options

On 12/5/05, John R. Sowden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Last night I downloaded a win and lin copy of ooo.   The Lin filename had
> 2.0.0 in the name.  The green box on bootup said 2.0, without the 'beta', but
> in the 'about'  box, it said the build was 1.9.79.2.3 and there it was
> described as '2.0-pre'.
>
> Do I have version 2.0?  Is there a menu selection/feature that I can bring up
> to confirm this is 2.0?
>
> 2ndQ: Can I control how OOo opens, instead of home/templates/samples?
> I put my data files in an encrypted partition, not my home directory.  If I
> could create a custom opening screen with buttons that I can direct the
> program to execute in a specific manner, that would be neat.
>
> --
> John R. Sowden
> AMERICAN SENTRY SYSTEMS, INC.
> Residential & Commercial Alarm Service
> UL Listed Central Station
> Serving the San Francisco Bay Area Since 1967
> [hidden email]
> www.americansentry.net

Re: version question

On Sun December 4 2005 10:54, Paul wrote:

> 1/ I think this may just be an oversight in not updating the 'about
> box'. The numbering convention, eg, 1.9.X..., will probably remain to
> keep a track of what releases the developers are working on, but there
> should be no 'pre' label.
>
> If you downloaded 2.0 from www.openoffice.org and have done the MD5
> check, then rest assured it will be Version 2.0.
>
> 2/ You can set where everything is stored, by looking in tools > options
>
> On 12/5/05, John R. Sowden <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Last night I downloaded a win and lin copy of ooo.   The Lin filename had
> > 2.0.0 in the name.  The green box on bootup said 2.0, without the 'beta',
> > but in the 'about'  box, it said the build was 1.9.79.2.3 and there it
> > was described as '2.0-pre'.
> >
> > Do I have version 2.0?  Is there a menu selection/feature that I can
> > bring up to confirm this is 2.0?
> >
> > 2ndQ: Can I control how OOo opens, instead of home/templates/samples?
> > I put my data files in an encrypted partition, not my home directory.  If
> > I could create a custom opening screen with buttons that I can direct the
> > program to execute in a specific manner, that would be neat.

I turns out that I was executing the pre2.0 version that I had on the
computer.  it appears that the pre-2.0 wrappers are called oocalc, oowriter,
etc. and the real 2.0 wrappers are called scalc and swriter.  I made the
"assume" mistake of thinking that the installation updated the menu in kde.
It did not. I had to go in manually.

Note: The doc says to delete the 1.x version,m use the uninstall feature of
2.0 with the 'repair' option.  I cannot fund a uninstall program or option in
2.0.  Possibly the doc is referring to windows.

I think those OOo people are so excited about shifting marketshare from M$ to
OOo that we Lin users are being left in the dust  ;)