[vote] AOO417-RC1​

12

[vote] AOO417-RC1​

Peter Kovacs-3
Hi all,

In order to finalize the release, I jump in for Jim, who is traveling. :-)

Please take your vote.

The Release Candidate is good for production:

[ ] yes / +1

[ ] no / -1

My vote is based on

[ ] binding (member of PMC)

[ ] I have build and tested the RC from source

[ ] I have tested the binary RC

All the Best
Petko

Re: [vote] AOO417-RC1​

Mechtilde Stehmann-2

Am 11.09.19 um 07:31 schrieb Peter Kovacs:

> Hi all,
>

> In order to finalize the release, I jump in for Jim, who is traveling. :-)
>
> Please take your vote.
>
> The Release Candidate is good for production:
>
> [X] yes / +1
>
> [ ] no / -1
>
> My vote is based on
>
> [X] binding (member of PMC)
>
> [ ] I have build and tested the RC from source
>
> [X] I have tested the binary RC

Kind regards

--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice

Re: [vote] AOO417-RC1​

Pedro Lino-3
Maybe I am confused: Where is RC1? I believe we tested some build to check if source was ready to build RC1?

A second question: now that source move to git, what is the command to download source for branch 4.1.7 to build from source?

Thanks!

> On September 11, 2019 at 6:31 AM Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi all,
>

> In order to finalize the release, I jump in for Jim, who is traveling. :-)
>
> Please take your vote.
>
> The Release Candidate is good for production:
>
> [ ] yes / +1
>
> [ ] no / -1
>
> My vote is based on
>
> [ ] binding (member of PMC)
>
> [ ] I have build and tested the RC from source
>
> [ ] I have tested the binary RC
>

> All the Best
> Petko

Re: [vote] AOO417-RC1​

Mechtilde Stehmann-2

http://home.apache.org/~jim/AOO-builds/AOO417-test/Rev-46059c9/

> A second question: now that source move to git, what is the command to download source for branch 4.1.7 to build from source?

git clone  https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice.git

git checkout AOO417

> Thanks!

Kind regards

>> On September 11, 2019 at 6:31 AM Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Hi all,
>>

>> In order to finalize the release, I jump in for Jim, who is traveling. :-)
>>
>> Please take your vote.
>>
>> The Release Candidate is good for production:
>>
>> [ ] yes / +1
>>
>> [ ] no / -1
>>
>> My vote is based on
>>
>> [ ] binding (member of PMC)
>>
>> [ ] I have build and tested the RC from source
>>
>> [ ] I have tested the binary RC
>>

>> All the Best
>> Petko

Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Debian Developer
## PGP encryption welcome

Re: [vote] AOO417-RC1​

Matthias Seidel
Hi Pedro,

Am 11.09.19 um 14:45 schrieb Mechtilde:

> Am 11.09.19 um 13:36 schrieb Pedro Lino:
>> Maybe I am confused: Where is RC1? I believe we tested some build to check if source was ready to build RC1?
> http://home.apache.org/~jim/AOO-builds/AOO417-test/Rev-46059c9/

No, this is *NOT* RC1.

As always you will find it on the ASF dist server in the dev area:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.7-RC1/

Somehow we must have forgotten to announce the Release Candidate before
we called for the vote...

>> A second question: now that source move to git, what is the command to download source for branch 4.1.7 to build from source?
> git clone  https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice.git
>
> git checkout AOO417

If you only want a zip (or tar.gz) file, you can get it here:

https://github.com/apache/openoffice/releases/tag/AOO417-RC1

Regards,

   Matthias

>> Thanks!
> Kind regards
>>
>>> On September 11, 2019 at 6:31 AM Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>

>>> In order to finalize the release, I jump in for Jim, who is traveling. :-)
>>>
>>> Please take your vote.
>>>
>>> The Release Candidate is good for production:
>>>
>>> [ ] yes / +1
>>>
>>> [ ] no / -1
>>>
>>> My vote is based on
>>>
>>> [ ] binding (member of PMC)
>>>
>>> [ ] I have build and tested the RC from source
>>>
>>> [ ] I have tested the binary RC
>>>

>>> All the Best
>>> Petko

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [vote] AOO417-RC1​

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Matthias

>     On September 11, 2019 at 2:41 PM Matthias Seidel < [hidden email] mailto:[hidden email] > wrote:
>

>     As always you will find it on the ASF dist server in the dev area:
>
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.7-RC1/

Ok. Got it. Thanks!

>     Somehow we must have forgotten to announce the Release Candidate before
>     we called for the vote...

That is what I thought.

>     >> A second question: now that source move to git, what is the command to download source for branch 4.1.7 to build from source?
>
>         > >         git clone https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice.git
> >
> >     >
>         > >         git checkout AOO417
> >
> >     >     If you only want a zip (or tar.gz) file, you can get it here:
>
>     https://github.com/apache/openoffice/releases/tag/AOO417-RC1

Thank you for the link. I already used the git command to download it. Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable enough to solve all the error messages related to missing dependencies while trying to compile under Ubuntu 18.04.3 x64

I will try again under 16.04.5 later today

Thanks!

Best,
Pedro

Re: [vote] AOO417-RC1​

Matthias Seidel
Hi Peter,

before we start a vote people should have the opportunity to download
RC1 and test it:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.7-RC1/

Regards,

   Matthias

Am 11.09.19 um 07:31 schrieb Peter Kovacs:

> Hi all,
>

> In order to finalize the release, I jump in for Jim, who is traveling. :-)
>
> Please take your vote.
>
> The Release Candidate is good for production:
>
> [ ] yes / +1
>
> [ ] no / -1
>
> My vote is based on
>
> [ ] binding (member of PMC)
>
> [ ] I have build and tested the RC from source
>
> [ ] I have tested the binary RC
>

> All the Best
> Petko

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [vote] AOO417-RC1​

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello

I have downloaded and used it a this evening a little bit.

It is ok for me.

the last fixes esp. with the detection of Java works

so +1 for me (binding)

Kind regards

> Hi Peter,
>
> before we start a vote people should have the opportunity to download
> RC1 and test it:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.7-RC1/
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>

> Am 11.09.19 um 07:31 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> In order to finalize the release, I jump in for Jim, who is traveling. :-)
>>
>> Please take your vote.
>>
>> The Release Candidate is good for production:
>>
>> [ ] yes / +1
>>
>> [ ] no / -1
>>
>> My vote is based on
>>
>> [ ] binding (member of PMC)
>>
>> [ ] I have build and tested the RC from source
>>
>> [ ] I have tested the binary RC
>>

>> All the Best
>> Petko

Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Debian Developer
## PGP encryption welcome

RE: [vote] AOO417-RC1​

Jan-Christian Wienandt
Mon,

Peter Kovacs schrieb:​

> Hi all,
>

> In order to finalize the release, I jump in for Jim, who is traveling. :-)
>
> Please take your vote.
>
> The Release Candidate is good for production:
>
> [X] yes / +1
>
> [ ] no / -1
>
> My vote is based on
>
> [ ] binding (member of PMC)
>
> [ ] I have build and tested the RC from source
>
> [X] I have tested the binary RC

I tested on windows 7 and windows 10.
Main focus Writer and Base.
In Base also external connections via JDBC and ODBC.
No anomalies found.

Regards
Jan

Re: [vote] AOO417-RC1​

Matthias Seidel
Hi all,

Here is my vote:

---

The Release Candidate is good for production:

[X] yes / +1

[ ] no / -1

My vote is based on

[X] binding (member of PMC)

[X] I have build and tested the RC from source

[X] I have tested the binary RC

---

Additional information:

 - Built binaries for Windows from source
 - Tested binaries on Windows 7 32-bit
 - Tested binaries on Windows 10 (1903) 64-bit
 - Tested binaries on Ubuntu 16.04.5 64-bit
 - Tested binaries on Xubuntu 18.04.3 32-bit

On Windows, I also tested the detection/function of AdoptOpenJDK 8 [1]

Regards,
   Matthias

[1] https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html?variant=openjdk8&jvmVariant=hotspot#x32_win

Am 11.09.19 um 07:31 schrieb Peter Kovacs:

> Hi all,
>

> In order to finalize the release, I jump in for Jim, who is traveling. :-)
>
> Please take your vote.
>
> The Release Candidate is good for production:
>
> [ ] yes / +1
>
> [ ] no / -1
>
> My vote is based on
>
> [ ] binding (member of PMC)
>
> [ ] I have build and tested the RC from source
>
> [ ] I have tested the binary RC
>

> All the Best
> Petko

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [vote] AOO417-RC1​

Peter Kovacs-3
Hi Matthias,

I m sorry I am super nervous about the 12th and I feared with all the discussion that we will not vote at all or to late.
So I just started it.
The rc was announced by Jim on the 6th Sept. with the intend to start a vote on Monday.
There was this discussion but it ended with the agreement that we can move on as is. The views did not differ so much.

How about the vote proceeds until Jim catches up and then Jim can set the end date. We have the vote going and people can come and test. I am happy if we have more testers then the last time.

All the best
Peter

Am 11. September 2019 20:38:14 MESZ schrieb Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>:

>Hi Peter,
>
>before we start a vote people should have the opportunity to download
>RC1 and test it:
>
>https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.7-RC1/
>
>Regards,
>
>   Matthias
>

>Am 11.09.19 um 07:31 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> In order to finalize the release, I jump in for Jim, who is
>traveling. :-)
>>
>> Please take your vote.
>>
>> The Release Candidate is good for production:
>>
>> [ ] yes / +1
>>
>> [ ] no / -1
>>
>> My vote is based on
>>
>> [ ] binding (member of PMC)
>>
>> [ ] I have build and tested the RC from source
>>
>> [ ] I have tested the binary RC
>>

>> All the Best
>> Petko

Re: [vote] AOO417-RC1​

Jim Jagielski
The test builds and source code can be found at:

    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.7-RC1/ <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.7-RC1/>

Cheers!

> On Sep 11, 2019, at 7:36 AM, Pedro Lino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Maybe I am confused: Where is RC1? I believe we tested some build to check if source was ready to build RC1?
>
> A second question: now that source move to git, what is the command to download source for branch 4.1.7 to build from source?
>
> Thanks!
>

>> On September 11, 2019 at 6:31 AM Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Hi all,
>>

>> In order to finalize the release, I jump in for Jim, who is traveling. :-)
>>
>> Please take your vote.
>>
>> The Release Candidate is good for production:
>>
>> [ ] yes / +1
>>
>> [ ] no / -1
>>
>> My vote is based on
>>
>> [ ] binding (member of PMC)
>>
>> [ ] I have build and tested the RC from source
>>
>> [ ] I have tested the binary RC
>>

>> All the Best
>> Petko

Re: [vote] AOO417-RC1​

Jim Jagielski
If RC1 passes, and I do think it is a Good Idea to have a longer-than-normal vote, then the macOS and Windows builds will move, as-is, to the release state; The Linux binaries will be rebuilt, but with no code changes at all, to fix the git short-hash inconsistency between macOS/Win and the Linux builds (the Linux builds use a 7digit hash but the macOS and Windows use a 10digit one, so the About splash pages will show slightly different "versions" (although source code-wise, they are bit-bit exact)

> On Sep 11, 2019, at 5:48 PM, Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Matthias,
>
> I m sorry I am super nervous about the 12th and I feared with all the discussion that we will not vote at all or to late.
> So I just started it.
> The rc was announced by Jim on the 6th Sept. with the intend to start a vote on Monday.
> There was this discussion but it ended with the agreement that we can move on as is. The views did not differ so much.
>
> How about the vote proceeds until Jim catches up and then Jim can set the end date. We have the vote going and people can come and test. I am happy if we have more testers then the last time.
>
> All the best
> Peter
>
> Am 11. September 2019 20:38:14 MESZ schrieb Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> before we start a vote people should have the opportunity to download
>> RC1 and test it:
>>
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.7-RC1/
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias
>>

>> Am 11.09.19 um 07:31 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>>> Hi all,
>>>

>>> In order to finalize the release, I jump in for Jim, who is
>> traveling. :-)
>>>
>>> Please take your vote.
>>>
>>> The Release Candidate is good for production:
>>>
>>> [ ] yes / +1
>>>
>>> [ ] no / -1
>>>
>>> My vote is based on
>>>
>>> [ ] binding (member of PMC)
>>>
>>> [ ] I have build and tested the RC from source
>>>
>>> [ ] I have tested the binary RC
>>>

>>> All the Best
>>> Petko

Re: [vote] AOO417-RC1​

Patricia Shanahan
How long will you allow for testing of the Linux builds between the rebuild and releasing them?

Patricia

> On Sep 11, 2019, at 18:30, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If RC1 passes, and I do think it is a Good Idea to have a longer-than-normal vote, then the macOS and Windows builds will move, as-is, to the release state; The Linux binaries will be rebuilt, but with no code changes at all, to fix the git short-hash inconsistency between macOS/Win and the Linux builds (the Linux builds use a 7digit hash but the macOS and Windows use a 10digit one, so the About splash pages will show slightly different "versions" (although source code-wise, they are bit-bit exact)
>
>> On Sep 11, 2019, at 5:48 PM, Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Matthias,
>>
>> I m sorry I am super nervous about the 12th and I feared with all the discussion that we will not vote at all or to late.
>> So I just started it.
>> The rc was announced by Jim on the 6th Sept. with the intend to start a vote on Monday.
>> There was this discussion but it ended with the agreement that we can move on as is. The views did not differ so much.
>>
>> How about the vote proceeds until Jim catches up and then Jim can set the end date. We have the vote going and people can come and test. I am happy if we have more testers then the last time.
>>
>> All the best
>> Peter
>>
>> Am 11. September 2019 20:38:14 MESZ schrieb Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi Peter,
>>>
>>> before we start a vote people should have the opportunity to download
>>> RC1 and test it:
>>>
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.7-RC1/
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>   Matthias

>>> traveling. :-)

Re: [vote] AOO417-RC1​

Jim Jagielski
I think the normal 3days makes sense... What does everyone else think?

> On Sep 12, 2019, at 7:26 AM, Patricia Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> How long will you allow for testing of the Linux builds between the rebuild and releasing them?
>
> Patricia
>
>> On Sep 11, 2019, at 18:30, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> If RC1 passes, and I do think it is a Good Idea to have a longer-than-normal vote, then the macOS and Windows builds will move, as-is, to the release state; The Linux binaries will be rebuilt, but with no code changes at all, to fix the git short-hash inconsistency between macOS/Win and the Linux builds (the Linux builds use a 7digit hash but the macOS and Windows use a 10digit one, so the About splash pages will show slightly different "versions" (although source code-wise, they are bit-bit exact)
>>
>>> On Sep 11, 2019, at 5:48 PM, Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Matthias,
>>>
>>> I m sorry I am super nervous about the 12th and I feared with all the discussion that we will not vote at all or to late.
>>> So I just started it.
>>> The rc was announced by Jim on the 6th Sept. with the intend to start a vote on Monday.
>>> There was this discussion but it ended with the agreement that we can move on as is. The views did not differ so much.
>>>
>>> How about the vote proceeds until Jim catches up and then Jim can set the end date. We have the vote going and people can come and test. I am happy if we have more testers then the last time.
>>>
>>> All the best
>>> Peter

Re: [vote] AOO417-RC1​

Matthias Seidel
Am 12.09.19 um 18:25 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> I think the normal 3days makes sense... What does everyone else think?

+1

Matthias

On 9/12/2019 12:25 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I think the normal 3days makes sense... What does everyone else think?
3 days should be fine.

Regards
Keith

>> On Sep 12, 2019, at 7:26 AM, Patricia Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> How long will you allow for testing of the Linux builds between the rebuild and releasing them?
>>
>> Patricia
>>
>>> On Sep 11, 2019, at 18:30, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> If RC1 passes, and I do think it is a Good Idea to have a longer-than-normal vote, then the macOS and Windows builds will move, as-is, to the release state; The Linux binaries will be rebuilt, but with no code changes at all, to fix the git short-hash inconsistency between macOS/Win and the Linux builds (the Linux builds use a 7digit hash but the macOS and Windows use a 10digit one, so the About splash pages will show slightly different "versions" (although source code-wise, they are bit-bit exact)

Re: [vote] AOO417-RC1​

Peter Kovacs-4
+1

On 12.09.19 18:25, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> I think the normal 3days makes sense... What does everyone else think?
>
>> On Sep 12, 2019, at 7:26 AM, Patricia Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> How long will you allow for testing of the Linux builds between the rebuild and releasing them?
>>
>> Patricia
>>
>>> On Sep 11, 2019, at 18:30, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> If RC1 passes, and I do think it is a Good Idea to have a longer-than-normal vote, then the macOS and Windows builds will move, as-is, to the release state; The Linux binaries will be rebuilt, but with no code changes at all, to fix the git short-hash inconsistency between macOS/Win and the Linux builds (the Linux builds use a 7digit hash but the macOS and Windows use a 10digit one, so the About splash pages will show slightly different "versions" (although source code-wise, they are bit-bit exact)

Re: [vote] AOO417-RC1​

Marcus (OOo)
Am 12.09.19 um 18:55 schrieb Keith N. McKenna:
> On 9/12/2019 12:25 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> I think the normal 3days makes sense... What does everyone else think?
> 3 days should be fine.

I think release votes have a bigger effort then other topics. So IMHO it
MUST go over a weekend. Otherwise some - like me at the mment - have no
chance to participate as the effort is really bigger.

Thanks

Marcus

>>> On Sep 12, 2019, at 7:26 AM, Patricia Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> How long will you allow for testing of the Linux builds between the rebuild and releasing them?
>>>
>>> Patricia

12