zh_PINYIN

jonathon-3
All:

What do I have to configure, for Apache OpenOffice to recognize
dictionaries and grammar checkers for zh_PINYIN?

Is it a case of having to submit an RFE for explicit support for zh_PINYIN?

jonathon

Re: zh_PINYIN

Andrea
Just for interest:

- What is zh_PINYIN?

- What is RFE?

abbreviations are almost funny:

Google gives me:

- Radio free Europe

- Reason for encounter

- Rat für Erwachsenenbildung

... ah - request for evidence, request for enhancement

Am 28.02.2019 um 21:25 schrieb jonathon:

> All:
>
> What do I have to configure, for Apache OpenOffice to recognize
> dictionaries and grammar checkers for zh_PINYIN?
>
> Is it a case of having to submit an RFE for explicit support for zh_PINYIN?
>
> jonathon

Re: zh_PINYIN

Keith N. McKenna
On 3/1/2019 1:15 AM, Andrea Vt wrote:

> Just for interest:
>
> - What is zh_PINYIN?
>
> - What is RFE?
>
> abbreviations are almost funny:
>
> Google gives me:
>
> - Radio free Europe
>
> - Reason for encounter
>
> - Rat für Erwachsenenbildung
>
> ... ah - request for evidence, request for enhancement

As you discovered in the context of this message thread RFE is a Request
for Enhancement. zh-PINYIN is the International Standards Organization
(ISO) language code for the System of Romanization of the Chinese (Han
Dialect) Language.

Regards
Keith

> Am 28.02.2019 um 21:25 schrieb jonathon:
>> All:
>>
>> What do I have to configure, for Apache OpenOffice to recognize
>> dictionaries and grammar checkers for zh_PINYIN?
>>
>> Is it a case of having to submit an RFE for explicit support for
>> zh_PINYIN?
>>
>> jonathon

Re: zh_PINYIN

jonathon-3
On 3/1/19 1:53 PM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
> for Enhancement. zh-PINYIN is the International Standards Organization (ISO) language code for the System of Romanization of the Chinese (Han
> Dialect) Language.

Zh is part of an ISO standard.

PINYIN is not part of an ISO standard, but is commonly used by those who
provided text in both Pinyin and either Traditional Chinese or
Simplified Chinese.

zh_PINYIN is used for Chinese written in Romanov_Pinyin, or the
transliteration of Chinese into the Latin writing system.

jonathon

Re: zh_PINYIN

Andrea Pescetti-2
On 28/02/2019 jonathon wrote:
> What do I have to configure, for Apache OpenOffice to recognize
> dictionaries and grammar checkers for zh_PINYIN?

If you want to do it properly you will need support in code. There is a
page about "Adding a new language or locale" on our wiki with some
partially outdated but still mostly valid indications.
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Adding_a_new_language_or_locale

Now, we usually use a country code for the second part of the full code;
so it_IT would mean "Italian, the way it is spoken/written in Italy" and
it_CH would mean "Italian, the way it is spoken/written in Switzerland".

This is the only controversial part I see in your proposal. You may want
to look at how we address a vaguely similar issue for Serbian, that can
be written either in Latin characters or in Cyrillic characters - but I
think both are official in that case.

Regards,
   Andrea,